Governor Brown and Cal EMA Secure Federal Assistance for Hill Fire
As firefighters continue to battle a fire burning in the Cajon Pass area of San Bernardino County, where 1,500 homes and structures are threatened, Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. directed the California Emergency Management Agency (Cal EMA) to assist local efforts. Under the Governor’s direction, Cal EMA successfully applied to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) for financial assistance to offset the state and local costs of fighting the Hill Fire.
Earlier tonight, FEMA notified the Brown Administration that Cal EMA’s application for the Fire Management Assistance Grant (FMAG) was approved. These funds will go directly to firefighting efforts. The Hill Fire has burned more than 1,100 acres and is approximately 20 percent contained at this time.
“These funds are critical to providing our local and county firefighters with sufficient resources to fight this fire,” Cal EMA Secretary Mike Dayton said. “We are doing everything we can to assist the fire-affected areas and I am pleased our federal partners understand the potential damages the Hill Fire could cause.”
With the FMAG, the federal government provides a 75 percent federal cost-share reimbursement, through the President’s Disaster Relief Fund, to California for costs incurred in firefighting activities. The other 25 percent of firefighting costs is left to the state.
The FMAG is available to state, local and tribal governments. The reimbursed costs must be a result of fire disaster declared by the Governor and performed within the designated fire area using resources requested by incident commanders. Reimbursements can include supplies, labor, travel, repairs, administrative costs and mobilizations/demobilizations.
San Bernardino County and Cal EMA’s Southern Region have activated their Emergency Operation Centers.